Photo of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is one of the most popular photos of Moscow. Photos of the temple can be found in promotional brochures, and books on Moscow and its history. The popularity of such photos is that it is not just the Cathedral and one of the most beautiful Churches in Russia. Cathedral of Christ the Saviour became a symbol of the changes that have taken place and are taking place in the country. Many believe that the re-establishment of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior has become a symbol of revival of traditions, the history and soul of Russia.
The modern Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is re-established a copy of the temple, consecrated in the year 1883. The temple was built in honor of warriors, victorious in the Patriotic War of 1812 onwards. The bas-reliefs of the temple they glorified the Russian army, and the walls were written the names of officers who died in the war.
Cathedral of Christ the Saviour was laid in the year 1839 and built for 44 years. Consecration happened 26 May 1883 onwards. The original temple project was designed by the architect Konstantin Andreyevich tone.
Originally it was planned to build a Temple on the Sparrow hills. And the idea of building the temple appeared in the year 1812. In December 1812, Emperor Alexander 1 issued a manifesto about the construction of the Church of Christ the Savior. In the year 1814 idea developed, it was decided to build not just a church, and the Cathedral. There was a contest for the best project. The best was voted the draft Karl Withburgh. Cathedral on the project had to be significantly above-240 meters.
In the year 1817 the first stone was laid on Sparrow hills. The Government has allocated for the construction of about 15 million rubles. In addition, significant funds were collected from citizens who have sacrificed with enthusiasm to build a cathedral.
In 1825 Nicholas 1 year construction was stopped and an investigation was under way. Had identified numerous violations and construction managers were accused of embezzlement.
Sovremnnye historians and engineers believe that space on Sparrow hills was selected with the diligence and geotechnical conditions prevented the build construction of such sizes in this place. Anyway, with the level of technology development.
In 1831 Nicholas 1 year appointed architect Konstantin ton. The reason that we chose exactly the Tone felt that "Russian-Byzantine style, which worked the architect liked Emperor.
The place was chosen, and in August 1831 onwards the new Cathedral was laid. Actual construction began in 1839 year and lasted 44 years. In building interiors, individual elements of the Cathedral was attended by renowned architects and sculptors of Russia. (A). Ivanov, N. (A). Ramazanov a. IN THE. Loganovsky, J.s. Kaminsky. In the painting of the temple participated in. AND. Surikov, And. N. Kramskoy,. P. Vereshchagin, G. AND. Siemiradzki, A. AND. Korzukhin, F. (A). Bruni.
Tone did not have time to finish the job, and after his death the construction led his pupil A.i. Rezanov. Picture of the old cathedral of Christ the Savior can be found in open sources. Thank God that the picture appeared in the century before last.
In the 1931 year in place of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, it was decided to build a Palace of the Soviets. The decision was taken at a meeting of the EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE of the USSR. Formally, the decision was taken. But the key words have been said before at a meeting of the Politburo of the CPSU (b) on the reconstruction of Moscow.
December 5, 1931 year Temple was destroyed. It took 2 explosion, because the first time the temple ruin failed.
Construction of the Palace of the Soviets began in 1937, but the construction was never completed-the war, the need to rebuild the country after the war.
In the year 1960 at the construction site of a swimming pool was opened. It existed until 1994, and very popular with Muscovites.
1988 initiative group was established to restore the temple, and in 1994 the year construction began.
The temple project was developed by a team of architects led by m. M. Posohina and a. M. Denisova. (A). M. Denisov and began to manage construction. As a result of numerous scandals Denisov moved away from construction management of finished construction of Zurab Ceretelli. Of the changes made by Creretelli you can select a replacement marble bas-reliefs in bronze. Original bas-reliefs after the destruction of the Temple in the year 1931 were transferred to the Donskoy monastery, where it is stored today:
December 31, 1999 year Temple opened for visits and 19 August lighting of the Cathedral.